Pistachio + Pecan Baklava
- 1 package phyllo dough (two rolls)
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp sugar
For the syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- Follow thawing instructions on phyllo dough package.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Finely chop the pecans and pistachios separately. (I use a blender to chop but you can also place nuts in plastic bag and chop with a rolling pin).
- Set aside some of the chopped pistachios to garnish.
- Place nuts, cinnamon, ground cloves, and sugar (1/4 cup) in a medium bowl.
- Unroll one roll of phyllo dough.
- Cover with a damp paper towel to prevent from drying out.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo in the baking dish.
- Brush with butter.
- Repeat this process with the whole roll, making sure to cover phyllo sheets that are set aside.
- Layer with the chopped nuts.
- Unroll second roll of phyllo, again cover with damp towel.
- Butter one sheet of phyllo and place butter side down on the chopped nuts.
- Butter the top of the sheet.
- Place another sheet, butter, repeat this process with the rest of the sheets making sure to butter the top layer.
- Cut it into squares.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by combining all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let syrup cool.
- As soon as the baklava is done baking, pour the syrup on top.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Cut again.
- Garnish with pistachios.