Semi-Homemade Strawberry Strudels
These homemade "toaster" strudels are way better than the store-bought kind. They're only semi-homemade because I didn't make the puff pastry. I opted for the puff pastry found in the frozen isle. The jam, however, is homemade and made of fresh strawberries, lemon juice, and a little bit of sugar. It's all very simple and oh so delicious.
- 1 package puff pastry
- 10-15 fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice (I use coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove puff pastry from freezer and follow thawing instructions on packet. I place package in fridge the night before I plan to make the strudels so that I can begin making them right away in the morning.
- Puree strawberries.
- Add to a medium pot over high heat.
- Add lemon juice, sugar and vanilla and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1 tbsp water.
- Add to the strawberry mixture.
- Cook on low for 5-7 minutes until sauce thickens.
- While the sauce is cooking, unroll the puff pastry.
- Roll out both sheets a little bit, just to smooth them out.
- Cut each sheet into 9 equal pieces, so a total of 18 pieces.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling onto each piece, spreading it out into a square shape, but leaving 1/4-1/2 of an inch on all sides.
- Create an egg wash by beating the egg with 1 tbsp of water.
- Brush the edges of the pastry dough with the egg wash.
- Place the remaining pieces over the pieces with the filling and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Using a fork, poke several holes on top to let steam escape while baking.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash.
- Cook for 20 minutes. They may puff up quite a bit... it is puff pastry after all... but don't worry, this is normal and they will deflate a little bit.
- While cooking prepare the icing. Whisk together the powdered sugar and half and half.
- Transfer icing to a small plastic bag. Cut a very small tip off of one of the corners, add the icing and drizzle icing all over the strudels.